Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Winterton
 
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
The eleventh-century tower had an upper stage added in the thirteenth century, then the tower parapet and clerestory were renewed under the restoration by C H Fowler in 1903/4.
 
The south transept was consecrated in 1245.
 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1117004 
 

Jean Howard, June 2021

Winterton, All Saints Church
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints

The Anglo-Saxon tower of All Saints' church has typical bell-openings with mid-wall shafts.

It was heightened in Early English style (13th century) and in the 15th century Perpendicular battlements and pinnacles were added.

April 2015

Winterton, All Saints church
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints

The chancel is late thirteenth century but the east window of All Saints' church is Victorian.

April 2015

Winterton, All Saints church
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints

View of All Saints' church from the north-east.

April 2015

Winterton, All Saints church
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints

The lamp above the churchyard entrance carries the date 1205.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1991

Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, Blankney House, Low Street
Winterton, Blankney House, Low Street
Winterton, Blankney House, Low Street
A handsome late eighteenth-century townhouse with a pedimented projecting central element and the central door approached from both sides by low opposing steps with twin gates and railings.
 
This is one of a number of houses of similar style and period in Winterton thought to have been built speculatively by William Marris, a local resident, who won £10,000 on the lottery c.1790.
 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1116948
 
Jean Howard, 2021
Winterton, Blankney House, Low Street, William Marris
Winterton, Cemetery Chapels
Winterton, Cemetery Chapels
Winterton, Cemetery Chapels

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"A Cemetery about 3 acres in extent, with mortuary chapels, and a house for the keeper, was formed in 1876, at a cost of £2,000, and is under the control of the Urban District Council"

Geoff Swain Collection 15 November 1993

Winterton, Cemetery Chapels mortuary
Winterton, Churchyard Cross
Winterton, Churchyard Cross
Winterton, Churchyard Cross
Close to the south porch of All Saints’ Church is this broken mediaeval churchyard cross.
 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1117020

 

Jean Howard, June 2021

Winterton,
Winterton, Cottage on Park Street, (No.101)
Winterton, Cottage on Park Street, (No.101)
Winterton, Cottage on Park Street, (No.101)
Of seventeenth-century construction, this limestone cottage was raised mid to late eighteenth century to allow two attic rooms with raking dormers.
 
The gables have brick tumbling and stone coping on stone kneelers.
 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1116938
 
Jean Howard, June 2021 
Winterton, Park Street, cottage
Winterton, Cross Keys pub
Winterton, Cross Keys pub
Winterton, Cross Keys pub
Now a Tesco Express, this was the Cross Keys pub, also used for the Wednesday Corn Exchange from 1826, and the site of the town stocks. It is situated on King Street.
 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1116998
 
Jean Howard, June 2021
Winterton, Cross Keys, King Street, Corn Exchange
Winterton, Dents Cottage
Winterton, Dents Cottage
Winterton, Dents Cottage
This house on Park Street is eighteenth-century or earlier but was re-modelled 1830-5 for Joseph Dent of Ribstone Hall, York, in Gothic style by H F Lockwood of Hull. Note the tall octagonal chimney on the low left-hand wing.
 
Within the garden to the right of the property is the tomb of the owner’s father, Jonathan Dent, a Quaker and notable Winterton eccentric.
 
The house, railings and tomb are all listed.
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1116940
Winterton,
Winterton, Dents Cottage, Doorway
Winterton, Dents Cottage, Doorway
Winterton, Dents Cottage, Doorway
This view allows appreciation of the railings, cinquefoil window heads, buttressing and finials of the design. The central chimney would appear to have been capped.
 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1319692 

Jean Howard, June 2021 
Winterton, Dent's Cottage
Winterton, Jubilee Club, Queen Street
Winterton, Jubilee Club, Queen Street
Winterton, Jubilee Club, Queen Street

The original façade on Queen Street shown here is no longer used as the building has a modern extension at the other end opening onto Church Side.

Jean Howard, June 2021 

Winterton,
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane

Former Liberal Club of 1910 now a youth centre.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 lists two clubs in Winterton :-

"Conservative Club (Henry R. Marshall, sec)

Liberal Club (George Walker sec.), Chapel street"

DB 14 May 2019

Winterton, Liberal Club
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane

Detail of the Inscription.

Several foundation stones on the lower wall but some of these now difficult to read.

DB 14 May 2019 

 

Winterton, Liberal Club
Winterton, Newport Ironworks (T&J Fletcher)
Winterton, Newport Ironworks (T&J Fletcher)
Winterton, Newport Ironworks (T&J Fletcher)
The Newport Ironworks on North Street (Winteringham Road), seen here from the north, were established by John Fletcher in 1852 and have remained in the Fletcher family until the present day.
 
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Fletcher_(1820-1895)

 

Jean Howard, October 2017

Winterton, John Fletcher
Winterton, Newport Ironworks (T&J Fletcher)
Winterton, Newport Ironworks (T&J Fletcher)
Winterton, Newport Ironworks (T&J Fletcher)

In the final quarter of the nineteenth century the ironworks used a steam engine to drive line-shafting in the workshop. The engine house, complete with chimney, is still standing.

Jean Howard, October 2017

Winterton, John Fletcher
Winterton, Newport Ironworks (T&J Fletcher)
Winterton, Newport Ironworks (T&J Fletcher)
Winterton, Newport Ironworks (T&J Fletcher)

The main workshop of the Newport Ironworks stands alongside North Street (B1207). It has been extended and modified over the years.

Jean Howard, October 2017

Winterton, Newport Ironworks, Fletcher
Winterton, Old Vicarage and Norton House
Winterton, Old Vicarage and Norton House
Winterton, Old Vicarage and Norton House
The central house with the trellis porch was the vicarage until the 1950s.
 
To the right is Norton House, built in 1826 in grey brick with an imposing doorcase.
 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1116935 

 

Jean Howard, June 2021

Winterton, Old Vicarage, Norton House
Winterton, The George Inn
Winterton, The George Inn
Winterton, The George Inn
From the south side of All Saints church the road descends and splays to accommodate what was once the market place.
 
The limestone buildings include the listed George Inn, late eighteenth century – early nineteenth century with an additional two bays to the left.
 
Trading as the George Inn for much of the nineteenth century it was styled The George Commercial Hotel in 1896. It closed in 2006 but reopened four years later as The George Hogg.
   
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1116934 

 

Jean Howard, June 2021

Winterton, Church Side, George Inn
Winterton, The Elms, King Street
Winterton, The Elms, King Street
Winterton, The Elms, King Street
A late eighteenth-century house with handsome railings (also listed) and another thought to have been built as a result of William Marris’s lottery win.
 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1116943 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1117002
 
Jean Howard, June 2021 
Winterton, The Elms, King Street, William Marris
Winterton, Trinity Methodist Church, King Street
Winterton, Trinity Methodist Church, King Street
Winterton, Trinity Methodist Church, King Street

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Scunthorpe Circuit Past And Present” prepared By Colin Shepherdson & Mervyn G White March 1997 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :-

"The foundation stone for the new "Trinity" church, built on the site of the old King Street Wesleyan chapel, was laid on the 26.8.1961 and the church opened on the 5.4.1962 for the combined ex WM & PM congregations.

It is still in use with a membership of 78"

DB 14 May 2019

Winterton, Trinity Methodist Church, Chapel
Winterton, War Memorial
Winterton, War Memorial
Winterton, War Memorial
Winterton’s War Memorial was unveiled on 11 December 1920, but not in its present location. The site selected was the junction of Earlsgate (B1430) and Roxby Road (A1077).
 
Highway alterations at the junction in 1967 forced its relocation to All Saints’ churchyard.
 
http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Lincolnshire/Winterton.html 
https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/187709 
https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51851
 
Jean Howard, June 2021
Winterton, War Memorial
Winterton, Wesley Cottage, High Street
Winterton, Wesley Cottage, High Street
Winterton, Wesley Cottage, High Street
A plaque above the front door states: ‘John Wesley preached at Winterton on 8 August 1761.’
 
He wrote of the occasion "I preached at Winterton to such a congregation as I suppose never met there before.” He preached in the High Street because he had been prevented from using All Saints church.
 
Jean Howard, June 2021 
Winterton, Wesley Cottage, John Wesley