Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Infrastructure - Gas and Electricity
 
Boston, Gas Lamps
Boston, Gas Lamps
Boston, Gas Lamps

Boston’s gasworks was designed by John Rofe and opened in 1826. The works were extended by JTB Porter of Lincoln in 1871.

By 1892 there were 350 gas lamps in the town.

This set of original lamp standards and fittings has been retained in the town’s Market Place.

March 2013

Boston, gas lamps, Market Place, J T B Porter, John Rofe
Branston, Branston Hall, Gasworks
Branston, Branston Hall, Gasworks
Branston, Branston Hall, Gasworks

This photograph, taken about 1980, shows the then surviving buildings of the gasworks which George Bower of St Neots advertised as having built in the 1850s for the Melville family at Branston Hall.

It was later extended, possibly by Porter & Co of Lincoln, and ceased working in the 1920s.

The small building with the ventilators is the retort house; the condenser and purifier stood outside and coal was stored in the building on the left.

Today only the former threshing barn at the rear survives (as a house) together with the pit of one gasholder. 

See: Ken Redmore, Branston Hall Gasworks, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, 45 (2010), pp 31-33.

Branston, gas, hall, Bower, Porter,
Lincoln, Gas Works
Lincoln, Gas Works
Lincoln, Gas Works

Remains of Bracebridge Gas Works viewed from Clayton Road.

Kelly's Directory 1937 states :-

"The Gas undertaking was aquired by the Corporation in 1885 from the Gas Light and Coke Company, which was formed in 1829.

The original works in Carholme road, were converted into a distribution center and the works at Bracebridge were rebuilt in 1932.

The present output is about 750 million cubic feet yearly".  

DB 22 January 2019

Lincoln, Bracebridge Gas Works
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement

J T B Porter was an iron founder at Gowts Bridge, Lincoln from 1855 until 1919 when the firm amalgamated with Penney & Co.

Porter was one of the principal gas engineers in the country, boasting over 600 installations by the 1880s.

Several Lincolnshire town gasworks were built or extended by his firm. He also installed gasworks at country houses.

The gasworks illustrated in this advert is at Fell Foot in Cumbria. It was installed by Porter for the Colonel Ridehalgh in 1865.

The house and associated parkland are now owned by the National Trust who are currently (2019) arranging a restoration project which will include the surviving gasholder pits and retort house.

Information about Fell Foot supplied by Kevin Grice of the Lake District National Park Archaeology Volunteer Network.

Advert, c1875

Lincoln, Porter, gas engineer, founder, Fell Foot, Colonel Ridehalgh
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Standby Generator Set House
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Standby Generator Set House
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Standby Generator Set House

RAF Metheringham (1943-1946) was largely located in the adjoining parish of Martin.

DB 28 May 2018

Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Standby Generator Set House
Normanby near Scunthorpe, Electricity Generator
Normanby near Scunthorpe, Electricity Generator
Normanby near Scunthorpe, Electricity Generator

The 'Clock House' in the estate yard at Normanby Hall was fitted out with a steam powered electricity generating plant in c.1900.

This plant provided lighting thoughout the house but not the village.

1907

Normanby Near Scunthorpe, Normanby Hall, electricity generator,
North Killingholme, Power Station
North Killingholme, Power Station
North Killingholme, Power Station

Killingholme B Power Station went into service in 1993, generating 900MW. It was a combined cycle gas turbine natural gas type, the second in the UK to be built.

It was taken ut of service in 2002, reinstated as the economic climate improve in 2005 and then close in 2015.

aerial photo 1992 (during construction)

North Killingholme, B power station
Sleaford, Bass Maltings, Entance Gateway Lamp
Sleaford, Bass Maltings, Entance Gateway Lamp
Sleaford, Bass Maltings, Entance Gateway Lamp

Detailed view of the one surviving gas lamp.

DB 24 July 2018

Sleaford, Bass Maltings, gas lamp
Sleaford, Electricity Works Building, Electric Station Road
Sleaford, Electricity Works Building, Electric Station Road
Sleaford, Electricity Works Building, Electric Station Road

"The Electricity Works building was built in 1901, which was quite early for a town the size of Sleaford.

The buildings are now used as a sub-station.

Sleaford Electricity Works were built in 1901 by the Urban District Council on a site at the junction of West Gate and West Banks, and officially declared open on 1st September 1901.

The engine house originally had two boilers supplied by Robey and Co. of Lincoln.

The works remained as a fully working electricity station until nationalisation in 1948.

In recent years it has been reduced to the level of a sub-station, with the electricity board having built a new transformer house at the rear of the original buildings. The main generating hall, several small off-buildings and the offices facing the road still remain.

The generating hall now houses all the large switch gear that control the electricity supply to Sleaford and its surrounding area"

http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MLI60465&resourceID=1006 

DB 20 June 2018

Sleaford, Electricity Works Building, Electric Station Road
Sleaford, Electricity Works Building, Electric Station Road
Sleaford, Electricity Works Building, Electric Station Road
Sleaford, Electricity Works Building, Electric Station Road

Warning notices on the outside of the sub-station.

DB 20 June 2018 

Sleaford, Electricity Works Building, Electric Station Road
Sleaford, Gas Works Entrance, Eastgate
Sleaford, Gas Works Entrance, Eastgate
Sleaford, Gas Works Entrance, Eastgate

"Mid Cl9, architect probably Kendall"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1307098 

White's Directory 1872 states "The town was first lighted with gas, on October 1st, 1839, from the works, in Eastgate, which were erected by a company of proprietors with a capital of £4500, raised in £20 shares. The Gas Works have a handsome stone front, in the Tudor style: and Mr. Thomas Henry Bouttell is the manager".

DB 23 February 2019

Sleaford, Gas Works Entrance, Eastgate, Kendall
Sleaford, Gas Works Entrance, Eastgate
Sleaford, Gas Works Entrance, Eastgate
Sleaford, Gas Works Entrance, Eastgate

Detail of pediment with heraldic shield.

DB 23 February 2019

Sleaford, Gas Works Entrance, Eastgate
Temple Belwood, Gas Plant
Temple Belwood, Gas Plant
Temple Belwood, Gas Plant

In 1877 J Wooler & Co of Laisterwick Foundry, Bradford, erected a small plant for generating coal gas at this country house.

This plan was submitted along with a detailed quotation for £254.


 

Belton Axholme, gas, Temple Belwood, Wooler, Laisterwick Foundry
Thorganby, Waterwheel
Thorganby, Waterwheel
Thorganby, Waterwheel

The interior of the wheelhouse. It served as a corn mill through the nineteenth century and then, in the early twentieth century, it was converted to power an electricity generator.

The mill pond created in the small stream may have been used as a sheep dip.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Thorganby, Hall waterwheel