Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Metheringham
 
Metheringham Manor House
Metheringham Manor House
Metheringham Manor House

This house, with its Greek cross plan with stepped gables, was built for the Sir Thomas Skipworth in the seventeenth century.

It was badly damaged by fire in the nineteenth century.

It was twice occupied by agents of Henry Chaplin of nearby Blankney.

Hugh D Martineau c.1980

Metheringham, Manor house, Greek Cross, Skipworth
Metheringham, Market Cross (Medieval), High Street
Metheringham, Market Cross (Medieval), High Street
Metheringham, Market Cross (Medieval), High Street

"Market cross. C14.Stone. Octagonal stepped base topped with much weathered octagonal shaft."

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317180 

DB 22 April 2019

Metheringham, Market Cross, High Street
Metheringham, Market Cross (Modern), High Street
Metheringham, Market Cross (Modern), High Street
Metheringham, Market Cross (Modern), High Street

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"An ancient Cross, which stood in the village, was replaced by a new one in 1835, at the cost of about £25, and a market is now held round it on Saturday evenings"

DB 7 June 2018

Metheringham, Market Cross, High Street
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (3rd Wesleyan), High Street
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (3rd Wesleyan), High Street
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (3rd Wesleyan), High Street
Third Chapel now occupied by Parkers Stores. 
 
"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present" prepared by  Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 states :-
 
"i) A Society was formed in 1801 and the first chapel erected in 1803.
 
ii) The second chapel was built in 1824.

iii) The third chapel was built in the High Street, on a site nearly opposite the present chapel, and opened on the 27.9.1840. A day school was built in 1858. The chapel still stands and is used as a store.

iv) The foundation stone for the present chapel, also in the High Street, was 11.7.1907 and the chapel opened on the 28.5.1908. The chapel is still in membership of 72"

DB 7 June 2018
Metheringham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (4th Wesleyan)
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (4th Wesleyan)
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (4th Wesleyan)

This chapel opened in May 1908 and is still in use. It was the fourth Wesleyan Methodist chapel to be built in the village.

March 2016

Metheringham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (4th Wesleyan), For Sale
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (4th Wesleyan), For Sale
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (4th Wesleyan), For Sale

Chapel being offered for sale, with an asking price of £400,000, but is currently still in use.

DB 22 April 2019 

Metheringham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (4th Wesleyan), For Sale
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (4th Wesleyan), For Sale
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (4th Wesleyan), For Sale

Notice inviting representations pinned to the For Sale notice.

DB 22 April 2019  

Metheringham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, for sale
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan Reform Union), People's Hall
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan Reform Union), People's Hall
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan Reform Union), People's Hall

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present" prepared by  Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 states :-

"The Wesleyan Reform Union had a chapel in Middle Street known as the People's Hall.

Built in 1853, it closed in 1922 and is now a workshop"

DB 7 June 2018  

Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan Reform Union), People's Hall
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan Reform Union), People's Hall
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan Reform Union), People's Hall
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan Reform Union), People's Hall

Date stone reads "PEOPLES' HALL 1853"

DB 7 June 2018 

Metheringham, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan Reform Union), People's Hall
Metheringham, RAF Metheringham, Water Tower
Metheringham, RAF Metheringham, Water Tower
Metheringham, RAF Metheringham, Water Tower

The water tower at RAF Metheringham (TF 102598).

The airfield was the home to 106 Bomber Squadron from 1943 to the end of the war.

Over 200 operations flew from here and 57 Lancaster bombers were lost.

There is a small visitor centre on the site.

Peter Stevenson

Metheringham, RAF, water tower,
Metheringham, Railway Control Building
Metheringham, Railway Control Building
Metheringham, Railway Control Building

Alongside Metheringham station was a small brick building with the remnants of heavy steel shutters around its windows.

It was built during World War II as an emergency railway control building.

If the control office at Lincoln station ten miles away had been knocked out by enemy bombing then the trains and traffic would have been controlled from here.

It was one of 20 such buildings in the country and was a rare survivor, having been used as a railway store for almost 70 years until it was demolished in 2011.


Stewart Squires, 2010

Metheringham, railway control,
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid

A fire of 1599 destroyed much of Metheringham village, and badly damaged St Wilfred’s church.

By 1601, the nave was rebuilt, with Tuscan columns now supporting the original 13th century arches.  The clerestory dates from this time also.

Further alterations were carried out in the 19th century, when the chancel was extended, and the north aisle rebuilt.

Undated postcard

Metheringham, St Wilfrid Church, Tuscan columns, fire
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid

The tower of St Wilfrid's is unbuttressed.

The clerestory, with its two-light windows, dates from c.1600.

March 2016

Metheringham, St Wilfrid church
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid

A view of St Wilfrid's from the south-east.

March 2016

Metheringham, St Wilfrid church
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid

The nave of St Wilfrid's was restored in 1858-59 and the north aisle added in 1870.

March 2016

Metheringham, St Wilfrid church
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid

The east window is ninetheenth-century in the style of the Decorated period.

The original east window has been repositioned in the south wall of the chancel (to the left in this photo).

March 2016

Metheringham, St Wilfrid church
Metheringham, Street Scene
Metheringham, Street Scene
Metheringham, Street Scene

Known to locals as ‘Meg’, Metheringham is a large village some 9 miles south of Lincoln.

The Blankney Hunt was founded in 1871 when it split away from the old Burton Foxhounds.

undated postcard

Metheringham, Blankney Hunt
Metheringham, War Memorial
Metheringham, War Memorial
Metheringham, War Memorial

Made by Frederick William Baldock and unveiled 12th December 1920. Attended by Marshioness of Carisbrooke. 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3131 

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360534 

DB 22 April 2019

Metheringham, War Memorial
Metheringham, Water Standpost
Metheringham, Water Standpost
Metheringham, Water Standpost
Cast iron standpost for village water supply.
 
At the junction of Prince's Street and High Street near the market crosses.
 
Manufactured by Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd, Kilmarnock.

Very similar standposts in Navenby and other local villages.
 
DB 22 April 2019 
Metheringham, Water Standpost
Metheringham, White Hart, Public House
Metheringham, White Hart, Public House
Metheringham, White Hart, Public House

"Public House. Late C18"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061946 

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 lists :-

"Bell Charles, vict. White Hart"

Also listed were :-

Grantham Peter, vict. Star & Garter

Wilkinson Fras. vict. Oat Sheaf (Metheringham Fen) 

& 4 beer houses. 

DB 22 April 2019

Metheringham, White Hart, Public House
Metheringham, Windmill (1)
Metheringham, Windmill (1)
Metheringham, Windmill (1)

This was once a fine mill with seven floors and six sails. It was built in 1867.

Lincolnshire Echo photograph, 1930s

Metheringham, windmill,
Metheringham, Windmill (2)
Metheringham, Windmill (2)
Metheringham, Windmill (2)

The tower of the windmill at Metheringham is listed Grade II.

Location of mill: TF 064 613

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999
Metheringham, windmill, Peter Kirk
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers

Alfred Cooling had been a dealer in a wide range of products - glass, chine, oil lamps, paperhanging, washing machines - as well as agricultural implements.

His business was taken over by Frederick Townsend in 1896 who, in 1913, was joined later by his son. They were agricultural implement agents and dealers until the Second World War.

This photo show the firm's stand at the 1898 County Show.

 

Metheringham, Townsend
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend's stand at the 1898 County Show featured chaff cutters, weighing machines, a plough and a binder.
Metheringham, Townsend,