Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Ludborough
 
Ludborough Manor House
Ludborough Manor House
Ludborough Manor House

This a long low brick house, daying from the Elizabethan or Jacobean periods.

The porch on the south side has a four-centred arch to the doorway and pediment above.

Hugh D Martineau, c.1980

Ludborough, Manor house
Ludborough, Livesey Arms
Ludborough, Livesey Arms
Ludborough, Livesey Arms

Listed in White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 :-

"Lucas John, vict. Livesey Arms"

Joseph Livesey, Esq. was lord of the manor at his time.

The pub's website states that it originated in 1792.

http://theliveseyarms.com/about.php  

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Livesey Arms, public house
Ludborough, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Ludborough, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Ludborough, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The Primitive Methodist chapel in Ludborough was erected in 1851.

undated postcard

Ludborough, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Ludborough, St Mary
Ludborough, St Mary
Ludborough, St Mary

St Mary’s has a tall, worn, ironstone tower dating from the 15th century.   In contrast, chancel and nave, are chalk and are 13th century in origin.

James Fowler rebuilt the nave and aisles in 1858, retaining the Early English style.

In the chancel, one of the window-sills still retains its 13th century painted scroll-work.

September 2012

Ludborough, St Mary church, chalk, ironstone, James Fowler
Ludborough, St Mary
Ludborough, St Mary
Ludborough, St Mary

View from the south-west highlights the contrasting materials of which the church was built and subsequently restored.

The tower, built in the fifteenth century of ironstone and topped with Victorian ashlar crenellation; the nave and chancel of chalk - medieval but reused by Fowler; the south aisle faced in modern cement render (presumably to protect crumbling chalk).

Peter Kirk Collection 1992

Ludborough, St Mary
Ludborough, St Mary
Ludborough, St Mary
Ludborough, St Mary

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Mary is an edifice of white chalk and Ancaster stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles and an embattled western tower of three storeys containing 3 bells; in 1912 the bells were re-tuned and hung in a steel frame:

in 1858 the north aisle and arcade and the south clerestory wall and chancel arch were rebuilt, one of the old windows of the clerestory then discovered being adopted as a model:

on the sill of one of the, windows in the chancel is a beautiful scroll work painting of the 13th century:

there are some remains of Early stained glass, dating from about 1340:

the chancel retains a good double piscina and an aumbry and there is a sepulchral slab of the 14th century, bearing an incised cross ;

the restoration was carried out at a cost of £900, under the superintendence of Mr. James Fowler, architect, of Louth, and the church was re-opened May 1st, 1860:

several additions have since been made to the internal fittings, at a cost of nearly £100:

a new organ was provided in 1907, at a cost of £120:

a stained glass window was erected in the chancel in 1910 to the memory of the late rector, his wife and daughter:

there are 220 sittings"

DB 8 September 2019


Ludborough, Saint Mary, church
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel

"Probably built c1200 A.D. in the Early English style.

The East Window of the Chancel is a lancet with two lights and the quatrefoil window above them has old stained glass"

"The name of Barman is carved on the present altar, date 1618, he probably gave it and may have lived at the manor"

Mrs E.M.Brett's extracts from Rev. R.Dudding's Lecture 1935. 

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Saint Mary, church
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel

Looking across the sanctuary to a C13 double piscina.

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Saint Mary, church
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel, Window
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel, Window
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel, Window

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"a stained glass window was erected in the chancel in 1910 to the memory of the late rector, his wife and daughter"

Inscription states that the Rev. Augustus Gedge M.A. was Rector of the parish for 56 years. 

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Saint Mary, church, stained glass
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel, Window Sill
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel, Window Sill
Ludborough, St Mary, Chancel, Window Sill

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"on the sill of one of the, windows in the chancel is a beautiful scroll work painting of the 13th century"

DB 8 September 2019


Ludborough, Saint Mary, church
Ludborough, St Mary, Font
Ludborough, St Mary, Font
Ludborough, St Mary, Font

"The C15 font has a plain octagonal bowl on a pedestal"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063122 

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Saint Mary, church, font
Ludborough, St Mary, Nave
Ludborough, St Mary, Nave
Ludborough, St Mary, Nave

Looking east towards the C13 chancel arch.

The 3 bay arcades either side of the nave are early C13.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063122 

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Saint Mary, church
Ludborough, St Mary, Nave
Ludborough, St Mary, Nave
Ludborough, St Mary, Nave

Looking west towards the C15 tower arch.

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Saint Mary, church
Ludborough, St Mary, North Aisle
Ludborough, St Mary, North Aisle
Ludborough, St Mary, North Aisle

Looking east.

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Saint Mary, church
Ludborough, St Mary, South Aisle
Ludborough, St Mary, South Aisle
Ludborough, St Mary, South Aisle

Looking east along the south aisle.

"The South aisle was used as a school until 1863, when the Church School - now the Larches -was built"

Mrs E.M.Brett's extracts from Rev. R.Dudding's Lecture 1935.

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Saint Mary, church
Ludborough, St Mary, South Aisle, Memorial
Ludborough, St Mary, South Aisle, Memorial
Ludborough, St Mary, South Aisle, Memorial

Memorial to Charles Bucknall, a First World War casualty, incorporating the insignia of the Gloucestershire Regiment.

The Regiment inherited the unique privilege in the British Army of wearing a badge on the back of its headdress as well as the front, an honour won by the 28th Regiment when it fought in two ranks back to back at the Battle of Alexandria in 1801.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucestershire_Regiment 

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Saint Mary, church, Gloucestershire Regiment
Ludborough, St Mary, Tower
Ludborough, St Mary, Tower
Ludborough, St Mary, Tower

"Tall C15 3 stage ironstone tower"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063122 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"an embattled western tower of three storeys containing 3 bells; in 1912 the bells were re-tuned and hung in a steel frame"

DB 8 September 2019

Ludborough, Saint Mary, church, tower