Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Rowston
 
Rowston, Old School
Rowston, Old School
Rowston, Old School

"School. 1852. Red brick with ashlar dressings"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205521 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"A charity of £42 10s. yearly, left in 1719 by Anne (Thorold) Lady Hodgson, of Rowston, and widow of Sir Thomas Hodgson, is now applied to the provision of scholarships to higher elementary schools, tenable by scholars from Ruskington and Rowston, and to the maintenance, clothing and provision of fuel for three poor widows ...

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1852, & partly supported by the charity mentioned above, for 50 children; Mrs. Kate White, mistress"

DB 19 March 2020

Rowston, School
Rowston, Old School
Rowston, Old School
Rowston, Old School

Ashlar plaque inscribed "National School MDCCCLII"

DB 19 March 2020

Rowston, School
Rowston, Old School, Post Box
Rowston, Old School, Post Box
Rowston, Old School, Post Box

Victorian post box set into wall of the Old School

DB 19 March 2020

Rowston, School, Post Box
Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement

The church of St Clement in Rowston has slender tower with a ‘candle-snuffer- spire.

The nave & chancel are Early English whilst the clerestory is from the Perpendicular period.

There is Norman tympanum under the tower which has been likened to one at Haltham-on-Bain.

The doorway it may have been over can be seen in the north wall.

Mark Acton, 2014

Rowston, St Clement church, tympanum
Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement

An unusually slender tower with crocketed spire, but overall a well-proportioned building.

Peter Grey Collection, 1969


Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Clement is a building of stone in the Early English and Late Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, with chantry chapel on the north, now used as a vestry, clerestoried and embattled nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and a small western tower with pinnacles and crocketed octagonal spire, and containing 2 bells, both cast in 1622:

the tables of the Commandments, the royal arms and those of Mrs. Millicent Neate, who defrayed the cost of this erection and of the refitting of the church in 1741, were removed during the late restoration to the north-west part of the church:

the chantry chapel is separated from the chancel by an ancient oak screen, and retains a sedile:

the font, of Perpendicular date, is octagonal and ornamented on the bowl with Tudor devices:

all the windows are stained:

the silver chalice and paten were presented by Anne (Thorold), wife of Sir Thomas Hodgson kt. of Bramwith, in 1716:

the church was restored in 1903 at a cost of £1,500, the chancel improved and the whole repewed:

in the church is an ancient 30-hour clock which has a diamond-shaped face and only one hand:

there are 100 sittings, 25 being free"

DB 25 June 2020

Rowston, Saint Clement, Church
Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The Church (St. Clement) is remarkable for its singularly slender tower and spire, the former only 4˝ feet square within; but the latter being thickly set with cogs or frostings, loses on a near approach, much of its shadowy insignificance.

In the south porch is a zig-zag ornamented doorway"

DB 25 June 2020

Rowston, Saint Clement, Church
Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement
Rowston, St Clement

"Remarkably narrow west tower,of three stages, set back into the nave ... topped by an octagonal crocketed spire with two sets of lucarnes and four crocketed corner pinnacles"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1064293 

DB 25 June 2020

Rowston, Saint Clement, Church
Rowston, St Clement, Churchyard & Manor House
Rowston, St Clement, Churchyard & Manor House
Rowston, St Clement, Churchyard & Manor House

View across churchyard with Rowston Manor House visible in background.

"House. 1741 with additions 1985"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1280659 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states "Rowston Manor is the seat of George Taylor Marriner esq. who is lord of the manor"

DB 19 March 2020

Rowston, Saint Clement, Churchyard, Manor House
Rowston, St Clement, Interlace
Rowston, St Clement, Interlace
Rowston, St Clement, Interlace

"The south wall has ... two small pieces of interlace buried in the walling"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1064293 

DB 25 June 2020

Rowston, Saint Clement, Church, interlace
Rowston, St Clement, south doorway
Rowston, St Clement, south doorway
Rowston, St Clement, south doorway

A doorway with early English decoration and a Victorian door.

Peter Grey Collection, 1968

Rowston, St Clement, doorway
Rowston, St Clement, Weather Vane
Rowston, St Clement, Weather Vane
Rowston, St Clement, Weather Vane

A weather vane tops the elegantly slender tower and spire. 

DB 19 March 2020

Rowston, Saint Clement, Church, weather vane
Rowston, Village Cross
Rowston, Village Cross
Rowston, Village Cross

"Village Cross. C14. Ashlar. Triple stepped square base supports remnant of lower shaft of cross"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359364 

DB 19 March 2020

Rowston, Village Cross